Safeguarding is of paramount importance at Derwent Lower School. We have a number of members of staff who are trained to be 'Designated Safeguarding Leads' and all our staff receive regular training on safeguarding. Our safeguarding / child protection procedures can be found in our Safeguarding Policy below:
The Designated Safeguarding Lead at Derwent Lower School is the Headteacher, James Adkins.
The Deputy Designated Safeguarding Leads at Derwent Lower School, who have also undertaken the 2 day Designated Person training, are:
- Miss Rebecca Byrne (Assistant Headteacher)
- Mrs Ann Lennox (School Business Manager)
- Mrs Cheryl Mercier (Family Support Worker) - from Easter 2017
The nominated Governor for Safeguarding is Leah McDermott.
In addition the following members of staff have undertaken Safer Recruitment training:
- James Adkins (Headteacher)
- Ann Lennox (School Business Manager)
Derwent Lower School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All staff and governors must ensure that they are aware of these procedures.
Some key government documents relating to safeguarding include:
- Keeping Children Safe in Education
- What to do if you're worried a child is being abused
- Working Together to Safeguard Children
As part of our commitment to safeguarding, all staff at Derwent undertook core WRAP (Prevent) training in January 2016. This Prevent training has been repeated termly at Derwent for new staff that have joined us after January 2016.
Updated: January 2017