At Derwent we provide an exciting curriculum for the children to inspire their learning.
In reception class (Hedgehogs) we follow the Early Years Foundation Stage framework which set outs the areas of learning for the children. A link to the framework can be found below, as can the long term plans for Hedgehogs class which sets out what the children will learn in each area across the year.
In Years 1 to 4 we follow the programmes of study set out in the National Curriculum for England. A link to the National Curriculum can be found below, as can the long term plans for each class that shows the content of each subject area across the year and how we bring the learning alive. These plans are also available on each class page.
In addition to this we also have our subject curriculum plans for Art & Design and Design & Technology:
Please contact the school if you wish to find out more about the curriculum at Derwent. We also have a separate page on our website that gives further information about our phonics programme.
At Derwent Lower School we enhance the curriculum through a host of events.
Since September 2015 we have offered the children many opportunities to undertake activities that enrich their education. These have included:
- Trips to places such as St Albans, Whipsnade Zoo and Wilstead Bird of Prey centre.
- Themed events including messy art day, Safer Internet day, Anti-bullying week, Roman's day, Dinosaur day and Armed Forces day.
- Visitors ranging from the Police and Fire Services to a performance poet.
- Community events including the anti-bullying assembly at Henlow Church of England Academy as well as the Remembrance Day service and the Christmas Carol concert at RAF Henlow. The children have also taken part in the Christmas Fayre, Christmas play, celebration of the Queen's birthday and Summer Fayre in school.
- Sports events through the Redborne Sports Partnership including tag rugby, the swimming gala and a gymnastics festival.
At Derwent we provide a range of clubs and sporting opportunities.
Sport is also well catered for at the school with running club one lunchtime a week. In addition to this, we have Multi-Active who come in once a week to deliver sports sessions at lunchtime as well as a session in our After School Club on a Thursday.
Staff provide a number of clubs at lunchtime.The list of the clubs are shown below:
|Library Club||Monday lunchtime at 12.30pm||Library||Miss Byrne||Reception - Year 4|
|KS1 Maths Whizz Club||Tuesday lunchtime at 12.30pm||IT Suite||Mr Adkins||Year 1 & 2|
|Running Club||Tuesday lunchtime at 12.30pm||Playground||Mrs Read||Reception - Year 4|
|KS2 Maths Whizz Club||Wednesday lunchtime at 12.30pm||IT Suite||Mrs Roy||
Year 3 & 4
|Drama Club||Wednesday lunchtime at 12.30pm||Hedgehogs Class||Miss Piera||
Reception - Year 4
|Science Club||Thursday lunchtime at 12.30pm||Rabbits Class||Miss Bird||Reception - Year 4|
|Art Club||Thursday lunchtime at 12.30pm||Owls Class||Ms Waby||Reception - Year 4|