The School Day and other key information
At Derwent Lower the school day begins at 8:50am. This is when the doors open for children to go to their classrooms for a prompt start to the day.
- Years 1 to 4 (Rabbits, Owls, Mice and Foxes classes) enter the school through the door onto the main playground which is located at the back of the school.
- Pre-school and Reception (Caterpillars and Hedgehogs classes) enter the school through their classroom doors.
These doors close at 9am when the school bell rings. Children who arrive after this time must be signed in at the main office.
Morning break is at 10:40 until 11:00 for Years 1 to 4, with Pre-School and Reception having separate snack breaks.
Lunchtime is staggered for different classes. It starts at:
- 11:45 for Hedgehogs class (Reception)
- 11:50 for Caterpillars class (Pre-School class)
- 12:00 for the rest of the school.
Children come in from lunch at 1pm (except Pre-school whose lunchtime ends at 12:20pm). This is so that lessons can begin promptly at 1:15pm.
The end of the school day is at 3:15. Parents can collect their child or children from:
- Classroom doors (Caterpillars, Hedgehogs, Mice and Foxes classes)
- The main playground (Rabbits and Owls classes)
We have a school newsletter that is published each week on a Friday and contains lots of information about Derwent including upcoming events.
We have a sharing assembly every Thursday which starts at 2:30pm and all parents are very welcome. Headteacher awards, out of school awards, merit awards, maths whizz medals and class attendance awards are all handed out at these weekly events. One class each week shares their work with parents. This is on a rota and the next class that is sharing can be found in the school newsletter.
Every Friday the children can bring in 20p to buy tuck at playtime.
We use parentmail and class dojo as a school to aid communication. These apts can be downloaded to your mobile phone and help parents keep up-to-date with the school day.
Updated March 2018